Brief History of the Hope Cumberland Presbyterian Church
The Brandon (Hope) Cumberland Presbyterian Church was an extended work of the Lewis Memorial Cumberland Presbyterian Church, in Tampa., Florida
- Rev. Mr. Don Winn, Pastor of the Lewis Memorial Cumberland Presbyterian Church, and Mr. Hubert A. Almand, with the support of his family, provided the initial motivation to establish a new church in the Brandon Area.
- January 3, 1982: Rev. Don Winn began leading services for the fellowship at The Almand Center on Brooker Road in Brandon.
- May 6, 1982: Request made to Florida Presbytery for “ Fellowship” status. The request was granted.
- December 6, 1982: A General Mission Survey of the Brandon area was done by the Denominational Board of Missions at the initiative of the Lewis memorial Church and the Board of Missions of Florida Presbytery.
- June 1, 1984: Purchased the church property on South Miller Road for $ 65,000.00 with AL-FL-MS Synod providing $40,000.00.
- March 31, 1986: Congregation occupies the completed building on the new property.
- June 15, 1986: The building is dedicated in a special service.
- November 22, 1988: Fellowship Organized into a church by Florida Presbytery with forty-two charter members.
- January 25, 1991: Church requested status as a Redevelopment Project. Request was granted by presbytery and the denomination with a five-year subsidy.
- July 15, 1995: Classroom/Office Addition Completed.
- March 23, 2008: Groundbreaking for New Sanctuary (7000+ Sq. Ft.)
- February 22, 2009: Dedication Service for New Sanctuary
- 2011: Officially became a participating church in the Greater Brandon Area Meals on Wheels ministry. Our group of 15-20 volunteers meet each Thursday morning to prepare and deliver approximately 35-40 meals to homebound folks in our community.
- 2016: Welcomed the congregation of the House of Judah Fellowship Ministry Church to our campus. House of Judah is an African/American congregation pastored by Elder Dr. Elizabeth Hobbs. They share our Fellowship Hall for their worship services and other activities during the week.
ABOUT CUMBERLAND PRESBYTERIANS
The Cumberland Presbyterian Church is a Presbyterian body formed during the Great Revival of 1800. The revival caused disagreement within the Presbyterian Church (USA) both over the mechanics of the revival and over allowances the pro-revival faction was willing to make in order to secure ministers for its rapidly expanding following.
In two presbyteries, Springfield and Cumberland, the pro-revival faction dominated. These presbyteries, Cumberland in particular, believed the revival to be an extraordinary circumstance which allowed for exceptions to both educational requirements for ordination and the required subscription to the Westminster Confession of Faith.
Both Springfield and Cumberland Presbyteries were members of Kentucky Synod of the Presbyterian Church (USA). In Kentucky Synod the faction opposed to the revival dominated. This anti-revival faction took steps to curtail the activities of the revival oriented presbyteries. Frustrated, Springfield Presbytery withdrew from the Presbyterian Church in 1803. In 1804, in order to discipline her ministers, Kentucky Synod dissolved Cumberland Presbytery.
On February 4, 1810, at the home of Rev. Samuel McAdow near present day Dickson, Tennessee, McAdow, Rev. Finis Ewing, and Rev. Samuel King reorganized Cumberland Presbytery, previously dissolved by Kentucky Synod of the Presbyterian Church (USA).
These disaffected Presbyterian ministers did not intend to found an independent Presbyterian body. They felt that they would have greater success resolving their differences with Kentucky Synod as an organized body than as individuals. They also felt that the organization of a presbytery would better enable them to serve their congregations.
Growing rapidly, Cumberland Presbytery became Cumberland Synod in 1813 and, in 1829, when a General Assembly was established, the Cumberland Presbyterian denomination was born.
Cumberland Presbyterian congregations are located throughout the United States as well as in several other countries (Japan, Hong Kong, Colombia, etc.) but are primarily located in the American South, with strong concentrations in Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, Missouri, southern Illinois, Arkansas, and Texas.